Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Idea

Hi,

So I had a thought come up during the running of my SIMM. I have seen this in other groups and I use such a system in my game. Basically keeping track of player status... An example would be adding an option to BFMS to allow for this and having statuses like A, E, DNP, LOA etc to allow for easier tracking by both players and GMs as to player status. A working example, player 1,2 and 3 are in a sim player 1 has posted so he is marked as active or "attended", player 2 didn't post this week so he is DNP. 3 is on a leave for some reason so he is marked LOA. Just a rough idea and something I've used for a while and have wanted to bring up this; wasn't really sure where to put it or how to explain this in a way that didn't sound like adding more bureaucracy when really it's just for accountability purposes and more of an idea to allow for easier track
    Josh Hina

Originally posted by jhina View Post
    Hi,

So I had a thought come up during the running of my SIMM. I have seen this in other groups and I use such a system in my game. Basically keeping track of player status... An example would be adding an option to BFMS to allow for this and having statuses like A, E, DNP, LOA etc to allow for easier tracking by both players and GMs as to player status. A working example, player 1,2 and 3 are in a sim player 1 has posted so he is marked as active or "attended", player 2 didn't post this week so he is DNP. 3 is on a leave for some reason so he is marked LOA. Just a rough idea and something I've used for a while and have wanted to bring up this; wasn't really sure where to put it or how to explain this in a way that didn't sound like adding more bureaucracy when really it's just for accountability purposes and more of an idea to allow for easier track
    Hi,

It sounds like a nice idea, but in reality; it would be very hard to manage. Most simulations these days are Nova-based and have the ability to see when a player last posted, and if you know what you are looking for on a forum-based simulation, that information is easy to find as well, so really the idea is sound but hard to manage in reality. CO's like myself, we do a monthly update news item that goes out that has a count of the posts from each player, and that is publicly available so people can see what everyone's contribution is, and again, Nova has the ability to show when a player is on leave

Current Task Group "Themis" Commanding Officer
    Former BFA Member and Task Force 72 Commanding Officer (2012 -2016)

Comment

It would be quite easy to add/amend a field in BFMS to track the status of a player or character. The COs could then optionally use it. It could be shown on the BF website of the sim, or perhaps only visible to members. It is certainly an easily-implemented feature down the line.

I agree with Richardson that this would be very duplicative of Nova, but I could also see it as handy to see from the website (and also from a reporting standpoint).

Comment

In theory, BFMS could add a ton of features directly related to the management of your simm. However, in recognition to the variation among simms, and in understanding that each CO likes to manage things in a slightly different way, our goal with BFMS was to centralize the management of Fleet functions while leaving simm functions to the individual simm sites. If we were to look at doing something like this down the line, I'd probably push to see it made a plugin for Nova (or whatever else the simm CO is using) - probably fairly straightforward to do, and a lot more powerful when it could have automatic thresholds given by actual post activity.

I will add that, from the perspective of implementation, marking a player/character as a particular status on your simm is actually harder than one would think. The reason for this is because (1) players are on many simms, so it can't be placed on their user record, and (2) a player may have more than one character, all listed in BFMS, on the same simm, so character-specific wouldn't necessarily be accurate either.

That said, let's think about something like this in the future for Nova / whatever else people use for simm platforms?

Comment

Didn't TFMS have this. I remember being able to do it for COs
          Formerly Lt General Jagged Anderson Academy Commandant
          Formerly Rear Admiral Diego Macedo TFCO Task Force 38

Comment

I agree in that this would be a better fit in the Nova side of things for a sim. I don't see how this would really apply to the BFMS as it's meant to be more of a visual status to the outside world. If I'm a newcomer to the Bravo Fleet site, and I see on your sim page that players are marked a certain way, I might avoid your sim. I think adding such a feature definitely gives weight to the bureaucracy and not the friendly community we're desiring to remaster.

Comment

Originally posted by zyrell View Post
              Didn't TFMS have this. I remember being able to do it for COs
              It was only for CO's, and had to be done by the TFCO/TFXO and only indicated when they were LOA/ELOA or AWOL

Current Task Group "Themis" Commanding Officer
              Former BFA Member and Task Force 72 Commanding Officer (2012 -2016)

Comment

Right the CO's would keep track of LOA and ELOA for their crew.
                Formerly Lt General Jagged Anderson Academy Commandant
                Formerly Rear Admiral Diego Macedo TFCO Task Force 38

Comment

Working...
                X