Talking Point #4: Organization of the Marine Corps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like what you're coming up with Ryi!

I agree with you, we should simplify the MOS list. My suggestion is to use the list from (just use the big categories): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rine_Corps_MOS

I would say yes, the Marines need their own intel as they would focus on ground whereas Fleet Intel focuses on space.

formerly Javok

Comment

I will leave this discussion open for a bit longer as the discussion material is still going strong here! But lets stick our heads together to look for a formation of a proposal

Comment

Okay, here are a few departments up for your consideration. Theses are not all of them and they are open to discussion and change if somebody feels something is missing or redundant in another department.

INFANTRY: These are the marines that do the mule work of Star Fleet. While every marine is expected to pick up a rifle and function as an infantryman the department does have a lot of specialized training. Duties of the Infantry Department include providing security and patrolling friendly territory. They also take enemy held territory by force. This can include but not limited to destroying or bypassing enemy fortifications or installations. Infantry are also expected to protect Star Fleet vessels and repel invaders. Marine infantry is also has the responsibility of conducting boarding actions onto hostile vessels. An infantryman will know how to operate all weapons assigned to the department. Mortars fall under this department. Infantry marines may also be expected to assigned armored personnel carriers (APC) and selected persons to crew them.

ARMOR: This department is responsible for the bulk of tank warfare. Crews are expected the drive and use the guns on a Star Fleet armored fighting vehicle (AFV). The crew is also expected to conduct routine maintenance on their vehicles.

ENGINEERS: Engineers have a number of duties. In a civil capacity, they build and repair infrastructure. In a military capacity, the build or improve fortifications. They also demolish hostile infrastructure and fortifications, such as a sensor array, or obstacles, such as a minefield.

SIGNAL: A force of marines may be isolated on a planet for extended periods. Often, these worlds lack functional infrastructure so the marines must provide their own communications. Signal create communications nets for marines on a planetary level and on a outer planetary level. They also have the responsibility to monitor signal traffic and for using encryption.

MEDICAL: This department is assigned the duty to provide a high level of medical care to casualties. This department includes field medics that accompany infantry and armor units out in the field. Field hospitals are also in this department as well as mental health and field hygiene.

More later, please feel free to comment, thanks.

Comment

More departments, again, feedback is welcome.

PROVOST: Also known as Military Police. This department has the responsibility of enforcing Federation and Star Fleet law on military installations, in combat zones, and other areas deemed fit by command. They do have a criminal investigations teams similar to civilian law enforcement. They are forbidden to enforce civilian law enforcement except by special circumstance such as invasion. Provost also secures military prisoners of war. They are responsible for traffic and convoys. There is a sub division of the branch known as the Judge Advocate General Corp or JAG Corp for short. The JAG Corp is the legal branch of the Provost and both prosecutes in military court and provides legal defense.

INTELLIGENCE: This department is responsible for data regarding domestic and foreign military services including hardware, organizations, and command. They are responsible for ensuring encryption stays secured. Intelligence also ensures Star Fleet signals are not disrupted by hostile factions. Intelligence also attempts to disrupt hostile signals and decrypt hostile signals. This department also interrogates prisoners for intelligence (if the prisoner is suspected of war crimes that would fall under the Provost department). This branch is also responsible for collecting data with the use of spies or by using teams from other departments to conduct reconnaissance missions into foreign areas. This department collaborates with Star Fleet Intelligence including sharing all data acquired and mission reports.

LOGISTICS: This department is responsible for keeping the marines operating. The importance of this department is often overlooked, so goes the old military axiom: Amateurs think tactics, professionals think logistics. This department is divided into three sub branches.
          Quartermaster: This sub department is responsible for clerical work on personnel (including pay), housing of personnel or quartering, and supplies not covered by the other two sub departments such as uniforms, sundries, and bedding.

Ordnance: This sub department is responsible for supplying and storing weapons, vehicles, body armor, energy, and munitions. Ordnance will attempt to repair weapons and vehicles.

Commissary: Responsible for foodstuffs in all form of preparedness. While the marines can sustain themselves on prepackaged meals, the commissary corp also provides cooks to provide fresh meals. Such meals improve morale.
          I'm still not sure how artillery fits in. I while also write up a proposal for special warfare last as I'm sure there are strong opinions.
          Last edited by Ryi Amlari; 01-31-2018, 12:49 PM. Reason: 1/31/18 Edit for clarification on Intelligence.

Comment

Alright, possibly the final two.

ARTILLERY: This department operates the large guns of the Corp. Star Fleet simply does not have enough ships to support all ground operations, so the artillery takes up the task. Artillery is divided into three sub branches.
            Field Artillery: Sometimes during ground operations marines need a responsive fire support with enough firepower to destroy a building, fortification, or a column of tanks but not too overpowered as it would put friendly units or civilians in danger. This is the role field artillery plays. Commanders have the artillery breach a city's walls or maybe suppress enemy forces to allow friendly units the ability to advance. Field artillery pieces can be towed or self propelled if speed is needed. They may also be high powered phasers or multiple rocket launchers.

Anti Aircraft Defense Artillery: Sometimes simplified to Triple A or AAA. This department is responsible for defense of ground units and installations against fast moving incoming missiles or enemy aircraft. Anti aircraft weapons can be static or self propelled. The weapons can be a number of small phasers that saturate an area with energy fire or guided missiles.

Planetary Defense Artillery: Normally the domain of Star Fleet Tactical Department, sometimes the defense of a planet from enemy star craft is to the marines. This department operates the large guns normally only seen on star ships. Large generators are needed to power the weapons and are therefore part of static installations.
            SPECIAL WARFARE: Also called Special Operations. Whereas the regular marines act as a sledgehammer, the special warfare branch acts as the scalpel. Sometimes the marines need to conduct operations that are unorthodox or politically sensitive. Special Warfare branch has the responsibility to handle missions that may be out of the operational range of other department. Operations could include deep reconnaissance operations, training insurgents, hostage rescue, or taking of special persons prisoner (body snatching). Unlike other branches, only personnel that have a minimum of fives years prior service and are of good standing may apply for this branch. Team members have a minimum rank of Sergeant and squads are typically led by Gunnery Sergeants and platoons are led by Captains supported by platoon sergeants that are Master Sergeants. It is common for other branches to support Special Warfare operators during a mission.

I left special warfare for last. A lot of sim writers misapply this branch. That isn't a criticism of them, it is completely understandable. Popular media, including news sources, often misapply this branch. If you don't have a strong understanding of military operations you probably don't know the difference between conventional operations and special operations. To the lawman, the special operations branch just seems like a superior branch of a regular infantry unit. It is more romantic and sexy to have a character cleanly sneak behind enemy lines than to have some grunt slog through a muddy and burnt trench.

Because of the rarity of personnel that are in special operations, they will not be (or at least should not be) tasked with missions that can be handled by regular marines. For one thing, it takes longer for special operations to recover from losses than it is from regular forces. Keep in mind, most military branches consider a 20% loss in personnel during an operation acceptable. A commander isn't going to have a small special forces team move through a minefield, take out weapons bunkers, and then clear a trench full of bet'leth wielding Klingons when a regular infantry unit could do the job almost as well and absorb the casualties better.

Let me use another analogy. Your little red sports car is sexy and cool to drive around town. Would you use your sports car to go to the nursery and fill it with bags of gravel and soil or would you use your old SUV?

Again, feedback and constructive criticism welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryi Amlari View Post
              More departments, again, feedback is welcome.

INTELLIGENCE: This department is responsible for data regarding domestic and foreign military services including hardware, organizations, and command. They are responsible for ensuring encryption stays secured. Intelligence also ensures Star Fleet signals are not disrupted by hostile factions. Intelligence also attempts to disrupt hostile signals and decrypt hostile signals. This department also interrogates prisoners for intelligence (if the prisoner is suspected of war crimes that would fall under the Provost department). This branch is also responsible for collecting data with the use of spies or by using teams from other departments to conduct reconnaissance missions into foreign areas.ENT]
              I'm still not sure how artillery fits in. I while also write up a proposal for special warfare last as I'm sure there are strong opinions.
              I agree with everything you said though the Intelligence Dept of the Marines would also required the description to include the fact that the primary tool for them would come from SI (Starfleet Intelligence) and would be required to work closely with them. Though if a sim had only marines (that would be heaven) for every department, this requirement would only include a need a ''they would be required to fill a report to the SI for complimenting the intelligence gathering and even to gain more information that the SI may have gained while they would be completing their own mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Reius View Post

I agree with everything you said though the Intelligence Dept of the Marines would also required the description to include the fact that the primary tool for them would come from SI (Starfleet Intelligence) and would be required to work closely with them. Though if a sim had only marines (that would be heaven) for every department, this requirement would only include a need a ''they would be required to fill a report to the SI for complimenting the intelligence gathering and even to gain more information that the SI may have gained while they would be completing their own mission.
                I assumed that both departments would work together but you are correct that it needs to be written out for clarity. It has been edited.

Comment

That look great for me!

Comment

Okay, I'm starting this from the bare bones beginning.

First, you have to figure what the SFMC's over all missions are.

1st Lt. Henry "Hank" Elrod
                    XO of the 181st Tactical Fighter Wing,
                    STARBASE 400
                    TF-99, ARES THEATER
                    Bravo Fleet

Comment

Working...
                    X