This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking Action #3 - Fleet Participation

I'll be leaving the other thread open should those matters require other discussion. But, let's move forward:

HIGH PRIORITY
    • Encourage TFCOs to continuously reach out to COs for friendly check-ins
    • Encourage all to utilize Fleet Services more, whether it is forums, IRC, FNS, what-have-you.
    • Build teams that are not led, but report to, Fleet Admiralty, including FNS, HOH, R&D and Recruitment
    • Establish a Welcoming Committee - a group that welcomes new members and simulations and offers cookies and free advice.
    MEDIUM PRIORITY
    • Make the Academy more user-friendly and more robust.
    • Provide additional training and accountability to all TFSS's
    Let us begin with the High Priority items.
    Former CRO, LO, BFCC, and TF72CO.

Originally posted by greenfelt22 View Post
    • Encourage all to utilize Fleet Services more, whether it is forums, IRC, FNS, what-have-you.
    • Build teams that are not led, but report to, Fleet Admiralty, including FNS, HOH, R&D and Recruitment
    Let us begin with the High Priority items.
    I'd be very much moving towards getting the FNS up and running, and once I've figure out a plan of attack for it, we will be asking for volunteers, so I can say that some part of this will be moving in the coming days. I just first need to take stock of where the FNS is right now.
    Captain Anthony Richardson - Commanding Officer, USS Excalibur

Comment

Originally posted by Richardson View Post
      I'd be very much moving towards getting the FNS up and running, and once I've figure out a plan of attack for it, we will be asking for volunteers, so I can say that some part of this will be moving in the coming days. I just first need to take stock of where the FNS is right now.
      In BFMS, we're enabling all COs (and anyone else granted the FNS Contributor role) to submit a news article for the FNS Admin team to review. This might help make the action of posting news more accessible (basically merging the old TFMS announcements system into the FNS system).
      Bravo Fleet Academy Officer

Formerly...
      BFCC / BFXO / BFIO / TF38CO / TF72CO / TF93CO

Comment

For now, I want us to focus on establishing the Welcome Committee and making the forums more lively. I know, I know, this is a major can of worms.

So, let me ask the LOADED question... What should the forums be used for?

Comment

The problem is forums are still slow as well but I see much more people posting now than before which is nice to see
          Formerly Lt General Jagged Anderson Academy Commandant
          Formerly Rear Admiral Diego Macedo TFCO Task Force 38

Comment

Originally posted by zyrell View Post
            The problem is forums are still slow as well but I see much more people posting now than before which is nice to see
            Yes... but what should they be used for?

Comment

To be honest I remember the old forums and how we had a comminity and I miss some of the interactions.

We had a large area for people to launch short stories about characters or topics and they could be stamped as canon if they met with the criteria of the current canon.

What we should do is Foster that community and post announcement both good and bad. It is supposed to be about communication and right now I think people just dislike the general idea of using it.

I know there is no way to go back but people are frustrated and it takes time for us to actually act on things.

Comment

I can even open a bigger can of worms: Are forums still up-to-date nowadays with current userbase using different means of communication? Everything seems to be wiki-only, instant messenging and so on. It might not be true, however, that this is the community's fault or the forum operators but changed means of internet usage today. But since the ones playing in a sim are familiar with forums and posting something somewhere...why not start with the task of evaluating the user base? How many are there? How many are active participants and which are sleeping members? Howmany of them are COs or other members of BF officials? Do we have numbers on the activity levels in sub-forums? Do we know, what are 'hot' topics?
                I would be careful of just doing something for the sake of doing something. I would like to crunch some numbers first before thinking of changes. We need to get user profiles first and then explore and adress their needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Varuh tr'Krell View Post
                  Are forums still up-to-date nowadays with current userbase using different means of communication? Everything seems to be wiki-only, instant messenging and so on. It might not be true, however, that this is the community's fault or the forum operators but changed means of internet usage today.
                  In my opinion, forums still have a place because they are a place where discussion is codified, as opposed to one where its transitive. They also allow for asynchronous communication. In many ways, they are more like an email replacement than challenged by things like Discord.

But since the ones playing in a sim are familiar with forums and posting something somewhere...why not start with the task of evaluating the user base? How many are there? How many are active participants and which are sleeping members? Howmany of them are COs or other members of BF officials? Do we have numbers on the activity levels in sub-forums? Do we know, what are 'hot' topics?
                  If we think that this is a strategically good move, resources could be investigated to dig these numbers out. But before we start digging numbers, I'm trying to understand where we'll take these metrics. For example, if 50% of active users are BF COs and Command Staff, what would that tell us different than if 20% was? I'd like to have a "do this if X, or that if Y" before we start digging up numbers - so that the investment in this digging is meaningful.

Formerly...

Comment

It's a sad irony that the topic about Fleet Participation has gone silent. Seeing how the action items are pretty much similar to the Action Items for Struggling Sims, I'll be closing this topic and focusing on the other.

Comment

JonM: in regards to your last answer - if it turns out - and I will paint a grim picture now - all of it is moot:
                      You might find out that of 500 registered users only 50 really use the forum often. Of those 10 write regularly. Out of those 7 are admirality and discuss why this forum is so silent in this very group. (sarkasm off). Crunching numbers is important. We need data, look at it, evaluate a bit and then draw conclusions which will lead to the 'what next' step - not vice versa. It is moot to speculate about 'what do we do with the data' 'cause we do not have any and do not know what it looks like.
                      (Believe me, in my real life I am a trained scientist - without data we do not start ANY debate. We have a rough idea WHY we collect data, however)

To present a 'meaning' to crunching numbers:
                      We want to find out:
                      - how many active users are there and how many just registered but idle (and what could be the reason for idleness)
                      - how many play in more than one sim or even are CO (just to find out, that this forum is not 'from admirality for admirality' or plainly spoken: for the masses of users or just a small group with special interests)
                      - what are hot topics (our strenghts to say so)
                      - what are NOT hot topics and why?

for that, we need DATA (not the Lt. Cmd, but numbers)
                      Last edited by Varuh tr'Krell; 02-12-2017, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Believe me, in my real life I am a trained scientist - without data we do not start ANY debate. We have a rough idea WHY we collect data, however
                        And as a PI, I know you don't get a grant to collect data until you have a well-defined objective (along with an understanding of you're going to quantify and assess it) or else you're just wasting money. This is why I asked my question. We need to make sure we're on the same perspective about what we're trying to figure out before I just go collect data.

To present a 'meaning' to crunching numbers:
                        We want to find out:
                        - how many active users are there and how many just registered but idle (and what could be the reason for idleness)
                        - how many play in more than one sim or even are CO (just to find out, that this forum is not 'from admirality for admirality' or plainly spoken: for the masses of users or just a small group with special interests)
                        - what are hot topics (our strenghts to say so)
                        - what are NOT hot topics and why?

for that, we need DATA (not the Lt. Cmd, but numbers)
                        While this list my be good enough for a qualitative assessment, you're asking for a quantitative one, and thus I must ask for clarification on several ambiguities that will still impede any ability to actually generate valid data sets:[list][*]What is the definition of an "active" user?[*]How do we quantifiably determine which forum accounts correspond to players in sims?[*]What is the definition of a "hot" topic? Aren't most topics discussed and then concluded, except for things like graphic requests?[*]What are "topics" in quantifiable terms?[list]

Formerly...

Comment

To make a proposal:
                          an active user is one that regularly logs himself in and uses the forum. One could try to look at that user's activities (if ever possible) like reading articles and how many and on which topics for specific data. Post count would be the most easiest to look at and provide a quantifyable number - in fact posting IS activity. If you can relate to the (sub) forums where the posts happened you might get a rough idea of public interest in certain topics.
                          Players in sims...well the easiest thing is to look at their signature. Many people place their alter egos there. Alternatively, start a poll (but you will not get everybody to vote)
                          A hot topic is a topic that is viewed by a certain threshold number of users which stays interesting over a certain period of time and maybe has a certain number of contributions postwise.
                          A topic is a forum post started. Unfortunately, those do not come with hashtags although implementation of those could be helpful to find related stuff. So if I write on klingon opera this might go under #fun #fluff #klingon. I know it is hard to look at those and takes much time. Maybe the simpler thing would be looking at the subforums and count the changes in posts over time and activity there. You can quantify that.

Comment

There are lots that log in but seldom post.

The forums should be used for discussions that effect the fleet as a whole. Task Force discussions as well with those items then emailed out for those that don't use the forums.

Bfa discussions should also remain on the forums. While I know a lot use other tools this is the easiest to use and to be honest it also allows us to be more open as there is a full record

Comment

Originally posted by zyrell View Post
                              There are lots that log in but seldom post.

The forums should be used for discussions that effect the fleet as a whole. Task Force discussions as well with those items then emailed out for those that don't use the forums.

Bfa discussions should also remain on the forums. While I know a lot use other tools this is the easiest to use and to be honest it also allows us to be more open as there is a full record
                              I completely agree with this. Anything that affects the fleet as a whole (departments, discussion ect) should be in a central place (in this case RSB). TF specific forums should exist but they can and should be emailed out as there are folks who do not check the forums often or do not use them at all. Though I am just restating what has already been said so I guess I am just throwing an agreement to the above in on this.
                              ~ IO Staff ~
                              ~ Former TFXO, HoH Admin and Academy XO ~

Comment

Working...
                              X