Non-Violent sub plots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-Violent sub plots

Many SIMs have a great leader in their CO and XO, and part of that leadership is letting the members come up with sub-plots to keep the characters busy while the main plot of the mission plays out.

So, how about we throw around some ideas that would help writers with sub-plots. Of course, there is already the list of 50 things to do with your character. Definitely, a helpful tool.

Are there any other ideas that characters can use, while on just about any mission, to help crew interaction, without damaging the ship in the process?
    Last edited by Dennis; 09-02-2017, 05:30 AM.
    Dimitri Koslev / SS Boreas

I suppose my response to this would not be the most expected.

Many years ago I did some theatre, some scripted most of it on the fly adlib for hours on end. That's where I learned to be method with my roles and in time pass, characters in RPG's.

When I create a character I know them so well I do not need to think on their replies or type a reaction to an event. How they respond to any question or action I know the moment I've finished reading it. There is no calculation, or pause to think, I know immediately how the character would act.

So I find the best fun is in the non-violent sub-plots which ends up mostly character development or interaction.

Pre-planned ideas from others usually fall on their face as their pre-plan usually pre scripts what they think others replies are and often hits a brick wall after my character replies with something unexpected.

So I feel ad-libbing or method works better than a list of precursors....it's just more organic and real. Plan nothing, ace everything.
    Captain David Hawkes
    Task Force 93 Executive Officer

Commander Jack Lashmore

Commanding Officer - USS Southern Cross

Lieutenant Sinara

Strategic Operations & Second Officer - USS Venture

Comment

Yes, adlibing is exactly what I think we are looking for, to use in sub-plots and character development. You of course have done this for a while. Others maybe not so much. So, does it hurt to provide a scenario for a newer player?

I certainly was not recommending pre-planned scripts for others to use. But ideas for situations that their character would have to deal with in their own way. My intent was just for ideas, because some writers are not creative enough to think up the idea. But when provided ideas, then they can take one and run with it in any direction they wish.

Comment

The most common would be, Messhall "is this seat taken?"

Holodeck bug, won't end program until the story is complete.

The worst type of shore leave, family comes to visit you

one of my personal favourites - A sick telepath/empath whose fever/sickness is causing them to project into the minds of others realities. Maybe forcing them to face their demons.
        Last edited by Sinara; 09-03-2017, 03:42 AM.
        Captain David Hawkes
        Task Force 93 Executive Officer

Commander Jack Lashmore

Commanding Officer - USS Southern Cross

Lieutenant Sinara

Strategic Operations & Second Officer - USS Venture

Comment

- - - "A sick telepath/empath whose fever/sickness is causing them to project into the minds of others realities. Maybe forcing them to face their demons."

Oooo . . I like that last one.

Comment

Working...
          X