X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character Concept

Hello!

Before I submit an application, I have a question:

I have had a long-standing interest in playing a civilian family member aboard a starship, similar to Naomi Wildman from Voyager but perhaps a bit older (12-14 range). Is that possible? Ideally my character would be the daughter of one of the existing players aboard one of the ships, so someone would have to volunteer for parenting duty (haha). Still, I think it could be an interesting dynamic to add to a story.

Thanks!

Jennifer

Hi socksgirl

I moved your topic to RPG Shop Talk as the rules for the "Looking For a Simm" board do not permit replies. I think this forum will allow you to have the discussion you're looking for.

Comment

I don't think I've seen anyone go out of their way to deliberately play a child aboard a starship, but my question as someone who runs a sim, what would be the driving force to keep you posting? You're not going to be part of away missions, you won't have much in the way of interaction with people other than the 'parent'. I can't really see a whole lot of potential for you to enjoy yourself as the kid of someone's character being your only part to play. Writing challenges I understand, but this seems a bit... beyond a challenge. Perhaps if I understood more about the why of this, I could say better from my point of view.
      Captain Nathan Cowell, MD
      USS Arizona, Commanding

Captain Navala Cowell
      USS Arizona, Commanding

Comment

I'd say that all depends on the sim, and you only need look at various episode of Voyager where Naomi was prominent to explore ways in which she could be included. Now, I'm not suggesting planning a sim to revolve around my character by any means, but she could be of help in unexpected ways. This in fact has been a recurring theme throughout the various shows. A child may not be effected the same way when a disease hits the ship, or mental control or... there's also kidnapping, or... that episode where an alien made friends with one of the children aboard the Enterprise.

As to the motivation for wanting to do this - mainly it's because I've done it before and it was a lot of fun. I've done the Starfleet Officer bit several times, and this would be an opportunity for me to still be part of the roleplay community but also to play something a little different that is not, by any means, god modding or overpowered or what have you.

Finally, there's time commitment. I don't always have the time to play a full-fledged member of the crew, so this would allow me to participate but because there would likely be large chunks of play that would not involve my character, it would work better for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jonileth View Post
          I don't think I've seen anyone go out of their way to deliberately play a child aboard a starship, but my question as someone who runs a sim, what would be the driving force to keep you posting? You're not going to be part of away missions, you won't have much in the way of interaction with people other than the 'parent'. I can't really see a whole lot of potential for you to enjoy yourself as the kid of someone's character being your only part to play. Writing challenges I understand, but this seems a bit... beyond a challenge. Perhaps if I understood more about the why of this, I could say better from my point of view.
          Actually...I have known someone who deliberately played a child aboard a starship. You probably remember them too, I'm not going to name names...however, we (I believe that I might have been Judge Advocate General at the time...or maybe Chief of Ops...I don't think it was as late as my BFXO tenure) ended up banning said person because of a series of very creepy situations that made us worry for our underage members. Including stuff that would fall under the CP label here in the US.

So it can be iffy. I would definitely feel way better if whatever game you (socksgirl) decide to join is decidedly PG13. I mean, it can definitely be a cool concept...I definitely see why you are doing so as well...kinda makes me want to see about RPing a dog or a cat or something now LOL. I just don't like the hints at what happened before that this feels of. I mean, the other characters should go out of their way to watch themselves as you would around a real child to avoid hints at impropriety...thus why I suggested PG13.
          ~ Kit

Comment

I would actually agree, as a Commanding Officer myself, with jonileth on this one. The challenge of what you would be posting about would be my underlying concern. My other concern is regarding this part: -

Finally, there's time commitment. I don't always have the time to play a full-fledged member of the crew, so this would allow me to participate but because there would likely be large chunks of play that would not involve my character, it would work better for me.
            My thing is that a simulation like mine has a two-week posting arrangement, where all crew (even myself) need to post every two weeks. I'm not sure what other simulations have, but I personally, am not a fan of having one rule for one person and another for others, hence why even I am privy to the two-week posting. Add onto that the fleet standard within the By-Laws, and it does create a sticky situation.

The idea is something interesting but it would take a whole lot of understanding from both you, the player in question and the command team onboard. My other question would be what happens when said player decides its time to leave the simulation, or change characters. Does that mean the simulation loses you as well? I would really be upset (as a Commanding Officer) to lose two players in the space of a few minutes because the "parent" decided to leave the simulation. It's a question that would really need to be answered prior to applications. Also, what would happen if there was a disagreement between you and the player writing as the parent, does that cause issues. I'd very much be weary of that one as well. There are several unanswered questions relating to this, but the idea is interesting to say the least.

Current Task Group "Themis" Commanding Officer
            Former BFA Member and Task Force 72 Commanding Officer (2012 -2016)

Comment

Originally posted by Richardson View Post
              My thing is that a simulation like mine has a two-week posting arrangement, where all crew (even myself) need to post every two weeks. I'm not sure what other simulations have, but I personally, am not a fan of having one rule for one person and another for others, hence why even I am privy to the two-week posting. Add onto that the fleet standard within the By-Laws, and it does create a sticky situation.
              That's actually reasonable posting requirements. I've been in a sim that required two posts a week, which got difficult to keep up with. I could easily post every two weeks.

Originally posted by Richardson View Post
              The idea is something interesting but it would take a whole lot of understanding from both you, the player in question and the command team onboard. My other question would be what happens when said player decides its time to leave the simulation, or change characters. Does that mean the simulation loses you as well? I would really be upset (as a Commanding Officer) to lose two players in the space of a few minutes because the "parent" decided to leave the simulation. It's a question that would really need to be answered prior to applications. Also, what would happen if there was a disagreement between you and the player writing as the parent, does that cause issues. I'd very much be weary of that one as well. There are several unanswered questions relating to this, but the idea is interesting to say the least.
              These are all valid concerns, and I'd be as open and transparent about it as possible if I were to attempt it.

The alternative I've explored in the past was to see about playing a particularly young ensign (say age 18) but that usually gets rejected because of the age she would have been when entering the academy. Child prodigy in that case is typically perceived badly, but it would alleviate some of the other concerns listed here (she'd be of legal age so relationships would be possible, she'd be independent, etc).

Comment

If you're aiming to play someone young, but still not outside the the realm of realism, you can always play a Cadet. If you're going for 'prodigy', I wouldn't make them TOO smart in terms of life skills, but as far as academics, even I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over it. Even one of my own characters was placed on a ship in a year long Cadet Cruise instead of wasting time with a 4th year they didn't need. Something like that is both believable enough to work, and gives you the 'fresh' character and still not be so out of sorts. And, regardless of what Cadet Year you play, when the CO decides you've done your time, you don't have to be Cadet Next Year Up, you can just go to Ensign. Fills in all the check boxes but leaves your advancement up to you and how well you participate.
                USS Arizona, Commanding

Captain Navala Cowell
                USS Arizona, Commanding

Comment

If you're aiming to play someone young, but still not outside the the realm of realism, you can always play a Cadet. If you're going for 'prodigy', I wouldn't make them TOO smart in terms of life skills, but as far as academics, even I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over it. Even one of my own characters was placed on a ship in a year long Cadet Cruise instead of wasting time with a 4th year they didn't need. Something like that is both believable enough to work, and gives you the 'fresh' character and still not be so out of sorts. And, regardless of what Cadet Year you play, when the CO decides you've done your time, you don't have to be Cadet Next Year Up, you can just go to Ensign. Fills in all the check boxes but leaves your advancement up to you and how well you participate.
                  Yeah, I mean, if I could play her aboard a ship, at age 18, as a cadet, that would probably check all the boxes as you say.

Comment

I wouldn't, as I say, get too bent out of shape over that. Gives you enough room to be a bit of a 'background' character if you're not looking to post every single day, but the flexibility to be part of the action if you like the stories people run and want to be involved in a tangible way without falling into the traps that Kitahashi mentioned... which I still remember 'you know who'. Lyn never let me live that one down, and I doubt you will either, Kit...
                    USS Arizona, Commanding

Captain Navala Cowell
                    USS Arizona, Commanding

Comment

I wouldn't, as I say, get too bent out of shape over that. Gives you enough room to be a bit of a 'background' character if you're not looking to post every single day, but the flexibility to be part of the action if you like the stories people run and want to be involved in a tangible way without falling into the traps that Kitahashi mentioned... which I still remember 'you know who'. Lyn never let me live that one down, and I doubt you will either, Kit...
                      Alright. In that case, what would be the best way to proceed? Is there anything special I need to do as part of my application to ensure that idea goes through?

Comment

I would suggest that you write the bio in such a way that outlines in your service record and personal history that your character is a book smart individual and they are being put on a boat to give them practical skills they maybe didn't learn with their nose in a book. Something I've noticed with the savants I've met is they are idiots when it comes to social skills. Great thinkers, horrible social butterflies. And I would take the time to flesh the character a little farther than just "So and So is smart, already had a degree before s/he turned 18 and joined Starfleet." The more you put into it in the front end, the better your chances are of getting picked up by a ship. If all else fails, every boat has a sample post section of the application, so you can do the sample post then outline below it what you hope to bring to the table with the character and why you are doing it the way you are. I usually read bios rather closely as it is, and I'm sure that while a lot of other COs aren't nearly as picky as I can be, if you make a good case, they won't tell you no right off hand.
                        USS Arizona, Commanding

Captain Navala Cowell
                        USS Arizona, Commanding

Comment

I can definitely see your interest in playing out a youth on a Starship. My take on the question actually gets broken down into three parts: Roleplaying a youth, roleplaying a family member, roleplaying part time. I think you have been provided some great suggestions by these awesome writers.

I think the real question I would touch on is the desire to roleplay a youth and deal with 'their' issues. As mentioned much of what takes place on a starship would not effect this Youth. However, being a family member on a Starbase might be a better option for this character. Either on a Spacedock or a ground-based Station, there would be more activities the Youth could get involved. Many of the things that affect the station would also allow the Youth to react to the events.

I was part of a ground based station last year where there was a child of Youth age of a Commanding Officer. The writer tried to play the Youth character, but had great trouble. She needed others of the same age to interact with. I and another writer were going to each create an NPC Youth character to roleplay along with her. We were going to be a modern/futuristic 'Mod-squad' on the station. These stories would all be sub-plots for the current mission. We would probably get in trouble and need to be rescued, etc. lol

Unfortunately the SIM folded before we were able to put the experiment to the test.

Best of luck to you.
                          Dimitri Koslev / SS Boreas
                          Lt. Katherine Welch / USS North Star
                          Ivy Sharzin / USS Tornado

Comment

Hi, I'm not very comfortable with forums anymore, so I am a little new at this, but here goes.

Old(er) dog trying to write new tricks (characters) looking for some help on expanding a character(s) concept(s), knowledge in dogs, particularly German Shepherd Dogs, service animals, MWDs, and SAR/Cadaver retrieval dogs a plus.

I need some help. I am drawing a blank right now. I have a character that has two canids of some-sort similar to, but not specifically German Shepherd Dogs. I have been inspired to write bios for them, but I am having trouble getting my mental image and ideas onto "paper". Would anyone be willing to work with me to co-author something? I can show you a link to my inspiration, and I work in Google Docs, so we can work cooperate. I am on Discord, so you can PM me there, or if you absolutely prefer, you may PM me here, I'm sure my e-mail may get it.

Comment

Working...
                            X