46th century weapons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 46th century weapons

So the sim I'm on is I little slanted from the normal trek universe. There are mechs running around, which I am fine with but I have a few things I'd like to have talked out. Since my character is a ground pounder, Marine, the weapons they carry have to be man portable. I have a few that in mind, but in this century, phasers are starting to lose their effectiveness. Internal shielding, better armors and the like are severely reducing the standard for energy weapons. So I am looking for options for my Marine team. Plasma weapons seem to be gathering steam. Nothing wrong with old style kinetic pistols and such other than most armor is still resistant, though a small explosive warhead is possible on the cartridges to a point.

So far I am going back to something someone asked me to model for him years ago. It's a basically a short phaser carbine with a Gauss (rail) gun built into one unit. The more modern version of a m16/m203. Other versions might include a plasma carbine with a 25mm grenade style launcher.

A couple of other ideas would be a 25mm grenade rifle. Easy and modern projectiles would keep it in the mix.

Also since it's far in the future, what I call the hard water gun. The intense pressure of Jupiter means that there is metallic hydrogen and oxygen in abundance in a natural state. Since it would take 3 million psi to contain that, a rail gun projectile or grenade would be pretty effective as water in non-compressible and therefore cuts through nearly anything. OR just load it with hydrogen alone for a nice version of a flash bang with pyro added.

Comment

I mean the 46th century to the 24th is pretty much like our current technology is to the early Roman Empire(assuming technological advancement doesn't expand at the rate it did in the past 100 years but sticks with the average of the past 2200). The kind of weapons used could really be pretty much anything, from handheld subspace weapons to interdimensional weapons or something. There really is no limit.

Comment

A hand held subspace weapon, that is an interesting idea. I am now thinking about a subspace pulse rifle. This has my mind working now and here is what I am thinking.

powered by a Saruim/Trilithium power cell the subspace pulse rifle is equipped with four 400 kW gravitation polarity sources feeding two fifty millicochrane subspace field distortions amplifiers. The power cell would be hot swapable in the field but could also be charged via induction coil.

The rifle would fire pulses of subspace distortions that damage the target via localized spatial distortion and displacement.

If you wanted to pair that with some sort of grenade like weapon. How about at quantum grenade. The quantum torpedo might still be new (or newish) in the fleet right now but by the time period you are working in I could see that being miniaturized into a grenade. Of course I would suggest doing away with the matter/antimatter reaction of the torpedo warhead and instead power the grenade with a pre-charged Saruim/Trilithium quick drain capacitor cell. 20 seconds before impact the capacitor cell would dump it's energy into a Zero Point Energy chamber crating a tension force upon the vacuum domain within the chamber. The energy created by the increased tension upon the vacuum domain would be released by the collapse of the camber wall upon impact with the target.

But that is just me thinking off the top of my head.
        Lieutenant Commander Bal-Retorin: Chief Engineer- Carnwennan Station-TF 72
        Lieutenant Commander David Stross Jr.: Executive Officer & Chief Engineer - USS Jericho NCC-26240 - TF 9
        Lieutenant Hamilton Long: Chief Engineer - Endeavour NX-06 - TF 99
        Lieutenant JG Roland Hill: Chief Engineer - USS Akagi NCC-57508 - FT 38

Comment

This being a hand held weapon, how large would you anticipate a single blast to effect, . . if fired at a solid granite wall? diameter? depth?

Of course I am questioning of stone here. The affect upon Flesh and advance plated steel would be very different.
          Dimitri Koslev / SS Boreas
          Ivy Sharzin / USS Tornado
          Lt. Vincent Kramer / USS Triumphant
          Ens. Thotris ch'Shizn / USS Devonshire
          LTjg Katherine Welch / USS Montgomery

Comment

Good question. I would expect the damage to unshielded materials to be extensive. Being a subspace weapon I could see the rifle blasting a sizable crater in a stone slab due to the warping of the material due to local subspace filed fluctuation. The grenade could be similar if not a bit stronger per shot.

For shielded materials I would expect the grenade to be better at cracking them than the rifle say two or three to take down someone's personal shield depending on shield strength.
            Lieutenant Commander David Stross Jr.: Executive Officer & Chief Engineer - USS Jericho NCC-26240 - TF 9

Comment

Since this is a new weapon, I just thought you would provide some 'numbers' for us, instead of just saying 'really big'.
              For example, if the subspace rifle was fired at a solid stone wall how many inches deep would the hole be?
              How many inches in diameter would the hole be?

Beyond the hole, how much effected rock would have cracks and/or burn marks be seen?

then provide similar information on the grenade. This way a novice would understand the impact on unprotected material. We could then formulate how much protection a shield would be.

Comment

In the event of the rifle being used against stone as a three inches deep and six inches in diameter. Cracks wold radiate out from the edge of the hole for another two inches or so. I would not expect any burn marks as this is not a typical explosion more of an implosion into subspace but there might be some secondary thermal effects such as discoloration of the rock due to heat caused by the twisting of the material caused by the subspace field.

As for the Grenade I could see a hole eight inches deep and sixteen inches in diameter. Cracks would radiate out form the edge of the hole for another four or five inches. There would be signs of the rock starting to melt.

Comment

So far I like the input, keep in mind that some of these might need to be fired INSIDE a starship.

Comment

That is not even a problem.

OK so phaser weapons today have safety interlocks that keep the phasers set to the lower power settings so that the crew will not shoot through the hull. I don't see why the rifle wouldn't have a similar device. By modifying the power level used to generate the subspace fields would obviously result in subspace fields of different strengths. So lets call the numbers I gave above as the standard kill level. Lower levels would be like a stun setting where the subspace field would only strong enough to momentarily disrupt neural activity.

As for the grenade all we need to do is put a power regulator between the capacitor cell and the zero point energy chamber and a RF link to connect it to a control surface on the side of the grenade launcher that will allow you to control the amount of power released from the cell and obvious changing the resulting explosion. That way you don't breach the hull.

Comment

Exactly what was said about by Shannon. Please also keep in mind that as I discussed with you before in this universe because it is so far in the future there are a number of safety protocols that are put into certain equipment. As we discussed with the scanning capabilities for the gem gun we were thinking about doing... there are also safety interlocks that prevent injuring at Starfleet personnel unless under certain circumstances. Basically the technology now is smart enough to understand when it should be used in when it should not be used that's not to say that the user has no authority to tell it what I canning cannot do it's just there are a lot of safety function is built into these in any capacity whether we are talking about a weapon of this magnitude or a little pistol that fires a pop bullet. I like that we are having this discussion because I want to have some of our other technology expanded upon and increased or reviewed.
                      Josh Hina

Comment

I do agree that quite a few safety protocols would be incorporated into this weapon.

As mentioned settings are also important. What Shannon said about the rifle shooting stone. 'three inches deep and six inches in diameter.' That would be a '10' and maximum limit. A 10" to 12" inch hole ripped from someone's body would definitely kill them. So, a setting of '1' would then represent 'momentarily disrupt neural activity'. I like this. I'm thinking that the actual size of the sub-space rupture would only be 0.01 mm in diameter. The extending effects of the activation would provide that stunning effect for several inches since it is living tissue and not stone.

Comment

There are so many paths that personal (or for that matter, ship) weapons could go in the time between the 24th/25th and 46th centuries, that a rifle might be seen as "retro" and relegated more to the same role as a sword is today. Then again, depending on what's inside the rifle, it might be the best fit for the time. Either way.

To be honest, it looks very mid-22nd century, something a MACO would use during the Earth-Romulan War as an experimental weapon. Considering the shorter relative length and what looks to be a retractable stock, this looks to be a carbine and what would be a good weapon for that era.

As to the discussion about future weapons, subspace weapons is an interesting concept. Delivery methods are the next thing to look at; bio-organic weaponry, cybernetic integrated weapons fired out of a finger or a palm, or even some weapon that looks straight out of an anime could be the result of two thousand years worth of development of weapons delivery systems.
                          You just read my post.

And now you are reading my signature.

Comment

Working...
                          X